Canadian Professional Liability Insurance Coverage: When You DON’T Need It


Okay, by now you’ve probably heard enough things about professional liability insurance coverage to know when you need it. But what about when you DON’T need it?

Unlike what some people think, not every professional needs to be covered under this policy. Here is when purchasing a professional liability insurance policy in Canada is not necessary:

  • If you work in a field in which the threat of being sued doesn’t exist.¬†Really, it’s as simple as that. If you can be held liable for an error or omission that you may nor may not have committed, then you need to purchase this policy. If you can’t, then why are you here? ūüėČ
  • If you own a small business:¬†Here’s the thing — some business owners would benefit more from purchasing other insurance policies such as general liability and business property insurance coverage. While some of them do like to be covered under a professional liability insurance policy for extra peace of mind, it’s not always necessary.
  • If you are planning on moving out of Canada soon: Most professional liability insurance policies only cover Canadians who currently work and live in Canada. If you are planning on moving out of the country in the near future, then it goes without saying that going through the hassle of purchasing this policy is just not worth it.
  • If your company already provides you¬†with¬†insurance coverage:¬†Some companies are very generous. You should consider yourself incredibly lucky if your insurance coverage needs are already taken care of by your employers!


Professional Liability Insurance/PLI

(Errors and Omissions Insurance)

  • Flawed professional advice and services that may have resulted in financial loss to the customer or client.
  • Protects professional individuals or companies from responsibility of the full cost of defending against a negligence claim and damages awarded in such a civil lawsuit.
    • Professional liability insurance covers the costs of judgments, settlements and legal defense.
    • Damages paid under a professional liability policy are typically financial rather than physical.